Happy New Year, everyone! We are up to 69 members in the Ravelry group – who knew? Thank you for all the support these past few episodes… I’d love to know how you found out about the podcast. Let me know in the show thread on Rav or here in the comments. When I started this, I never thought I’d have 10 viewers, much less 69 (and viewers all over the globe)! If/When we get to 100 members, I think we will have a prize drawing. I’ll dig into my stash and find something fabulous for the winner! Hopefully, we’ll get there sooner rather than later. 🙂
- Célia by Ariane Caron-Lacoste. Since finishing up other projects, this is the only thing I’ve been knitting on for the past day or so – I’ve been knitting on it to the point of my hands hurting! Oops. It’s kind of tedious right now, with all of the stitches and stockinette stitch knit flat, however, I’m close to casting on for the front and joining in the round, thank goodness!
- Unnamed Slouchy Hat – my own design. I had to rip out the decreases twice to get them right, but I’m still unsure about the hat, as it’s still too snug for what I was looking for. I’ll try knitting it in a different needle size and maybe play with the numbers before I bribe friends to test knit it.
- Tabata Mitts by Anne Hanson. These were a quick knit – I started them on Christmas and finished them on the 28th! (I gave my hands time to rest.) They don’t match exactly, but I’m okay with that, since they’re for me. These were knit up in Berroco Vintage DK on US2.5 (3.0mm) and US3 (3.25mm) needles.
There was lots of stash enhancement – and all accidental, I promise!
- Canon Hand Dyes William Self Striping Yarn in the Vintage Christmas colorway. There was some other stash enhancing here, but it hasn’t shipped yet. 😉
- Another Crafty Girl Strong Sock in the Kermit the Frog colorway (SO happy I scored this!); two skeins of Twinkle Sock in the Christmas Tree Lot and Two Sizes Too Small colorways (based on my two favorite Christmas cartoons: A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas! – WOOT!)
- Cloudlover SW Merino/Nylon in the Haunted Vineyard colorway (the colorway featured in The Knitgirllls Knit and Spin Along awhile ago – LOVE); Falkland/Bamboo Sock in Gingerbread; and the first installment in the fiber club. OMG. Gorgeous. I need to spin more.
- Knit from stash more, which means more sweaters and a ton more socks. (Heaven knows I have enough sock yarn, lol.)
- Be more intentional about my purchasing – it doesn’t mean that I won’t buy just because it’s pretty, but most of my spending will have a purpose.
- Improve my spindle spinning AND take lessons on wheel spinning. See if I can rent a wheel, then if I like it, buy one.
- Get the stash (that’s in the house, at least) photographed and on Ravelry.
- Wrangle the stash that’s in the house! Hopefully, I’ll be purchasing a cabinet with doors for this purpose. (The stash in the shed can wait.)
- Design more!!!
- Plurk more!
- Exercise more – start scheduling it with a friend.
- Learn to say no more often.
- Learn to relax and/or pamper myself more when I have the chance.
- Read more. I just haven’t had time to read this year and I miss it. Suggestions? I’ll be using my Goodreads account to keep track.
- Find a healthy balance between work/home/life.
Have a great week – if you go out tonight, be safe! Have fun! Happy New Year y’all!
Hello, everyone! Wow, it’s been 2.5 weeks since I last recorded – bad podcaster, no cookie! It’s been a busy couple of weeks since my mini-vacation, almost no knitting was done, but lots of fun was had – even if re-entry into Real Life was hard. Now that I’ve had a chance to knit, I want to knit ALL THE THINGS, heh. I’ve noticed that the high pitched sound is back in this episode, I’m not quite sure why. Also, you may hear the heating kick on – I didn’t realize just how loud that is back there. We’re up to 61 members in the Ravelry group! I am astonished. 🙂 Thanks for all the support!
- Unnamed Slouchy Hat – my own design. I’m actually in the home stretch of this one – I just need to decide whether I’m going to knit for an inch more or just decide on the decreases. This is being knit out of SpaceCadet Creations Lucina yarn in the Pirate colorway on Addi Turbo US2 (3.0 mm needles). I’m still trying to figure out what makes the colorway so pirate-y, but whatever. The yarn isn’t my favorite to work with, but it’s not awful. I forgot to mention during taping that it’s actually from my stash. I know! Weird. 😉 The hat is a little snugger than I meant for it to be, but I’m going with it. I’ll either block the hell out of it or just leave it as is. I’m planning on writing this up and getting a few people to test it, then I’ll put it up on Ravelry as a free pattern.
- Célia by Ariane Caron-Lacoste. Swatches have been knit and I have cast on… hopefully, there will be progress on this in the coming week! I’m using the MadTosh Twist DK in the Tart colorway on US5 (3.75 mm) Addi Turbo Lace needles.
- Simple, Stripey Socks. Finally done! They’ve actually been done for a while now, but I wanted to show them off to y’all before I wore them. 🙂 My standard vanilla sock pattern, with afterthought heels on two US1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo Lace needles.
- Tabata Mitts by Anne Hanson. I need a pair of fingerless mitts, since I can’t find any of mine and these will work up quickly. Knitting them out of Berroco Vintage DK in the 2177 colorway.
- Breakwater by Cecily Glowik MacDonald. I was inspired to make one after seeing oohfancypants‘s version.
- Narragansett by Thea Colman. I’m working my way through the Knitting in Circles podcast and have fallen in love with Aimee’s version.
- Mystery cowl of my own design. I’ll be working on getting this out in the next couple of weeks. I’ll be looking for test knitters, too. 🙂
Holding the Stick
Thanks for the suggestions for the new segment! I love this! I’ve plied the mystery fiber from Highland Handmades and LOVE it. It’s the first time I’ve attempted plying yarn and I love the finished product. It’s not perfect – definitely overspun and thick and thin, but it’s mine. 🙂 I haven’t touched the other spindle, but I’ll work on that to get it done.
What’s Making Me Happy
- NOT the NHL. All I want for Christmas is the CBA in place… it’s not going to happen. HOWEVER, some of the Caps have stayed in the states and rented ice time at their practice rink on Friday and scrimmaged with some collegiate players. Awesome. Also, Matt Hendricks has been overseas with the USO with the troops and tweeting about it. Awesome. I love these guys.
- CHRISTMAS!! It’s my favorite holiday – one of the most magical. I’ve been baking, watching Christmas movies… life has been good.
- Thank you to MaryBeth143 for the RAP of the Don’t Cage Me In Socks by Heather Kinne of Highland Handmades. I love it!
- Happy birthdays go out to the following group members: Drewstiffer (12/7), craftydebbi (12/10), Lorilou7 (12/20), MollyOMali (12/26), and oohfancypants (12/31). I hope you all had/have a wonderful birthday!!
Have a great week! If you celebrate, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. I’m hoping to record next weekend – so I’ll see you then!
Hello, all! It’s been a week (well, it was when I recorded, haha) and while not all of it has been good, I had an AWESOME mail week. I wax poetic about Highland Handmades and Fibernymph Dye Works, show off the MadTosh, and show the adventures in spinning (which haven’t all been bad). There hasn’t been a whole lot of production this week, due to work and migraines sidelining me, but what has been worked on has gotten a lot of love! There are a couple of jumps in the recording – the first one was because I went off on some tangent that made no sense whatsoever and the second was due to George deciding that he needed to love on the laptop/tell me to get my butt to bed.
- Owls sweater by Kate Davies. Tons of progress was made this past week – I am past the Owls chart and am ready to begin the second set of yoke decreases. And here I sit. I realized, as I was knitting on this, that I am going to run out of yarn and soon. 😦 So, this will be put aside until I can get a skein in a Rav destash. I’ve found someone who was selling 2 skeins, but those were sold quickly, and I’ve found .25 of a skein, but I think I’m going to need at least half of a skein to finish. sigh. My goal for this week is to get what I have photographed and the project up on Rav to remind myself to finish it!
- Simple, Stripey Socks. Not much progress was made, maybe 3 more rows, all while getting a pedicure on Sunday. The people at my nail salon are always interested in what I’m knitting, which is nice. Since I’m going away this week, I think it’ll get some more work on it, since it’s a simple stockinette stitch sock that can’t really be screwed up! 🙂
Scouting Report – Upcoming Patterns
Scouting Report – Stash Enhancement
It’s been a damn good mail week. At one point, my mother suggested that perhaps I may have gone a little overboard in my spending, but to be fair, I only made three purchases that month of the items that arrived…
- Magnolia Society – 1st package: 8 skeins of Madeline Tosh DK Twist in Tart. I believe that this will be used for Célia, I’m winding a skein up today and swatching for it during tonight’s webinar.
- Highland Handmades Small Business Saturday Sale: 1 skein of Sugar Maple Sock in the Prospecting colorway (75% SW Merino/25% Nylon); 1 skein of Black Cherry Lace in the Frost colorway; and a top whorl spindle. Heather also included some sample fiber in my package so I wouldn’t have to break into my stash. Love.
- Fibernymph Dye Works Small Business Saturday update: 1 skein of Heavenly in the Marmaris SS colorway (80/10/10 MCN); 1 skein of Sunshine in the Colors of Venice (Sept. 2012 Unclub) colorway; and 1 braid of BFL in the Colors of Venice colorway.
- Rav destash from usedtobe35: 2 braids of Three Irish Girls Springvale Roving in the Sandpiper and Three Mile Bay colorways.
- Woolgirl Once Upon a Time yarn club: I’d forgotten about this one! 1 skein of Becoming Art’s Theia in Peter Pan, a handmade soap, patterns, stitch marker, notions case, key chain/bag fob, and a project bag! Woot!
I need a good name for this section and better placement in the podcast. Thoughts?
- I started by using my Ashford spindle (heavy) and a braid of fiber from SweetGeorgia. I love the colors, the fiber is easy to handle once I predraft it, and I don’t hate the singles. It’s not pretty, but it’s mine. 🙂
- I used my new spindle from Highland Handmades and the sample fiber she sent to see what the difference is… I love the lighter spindle, I feel like I have more control. I’m still parking and drafting, but I don’t mind.
What’s Making Me Happy
- If you are in or around the Columbus area, you know of this. Hell, if you’ve just traveled there, you know of this, but if not… Jeni’s Ice Cream. LOVE. I was just asked to visit the local Whole Paycheck and bring a couple pints down with me tomorrow – you don’t say no to a pregnant woman. Not when it comes to ice cream. Haven’t tried it? You must. Yes, it’s expensive, but worth EVERY penny. The flavor combinations are odd and perfect.
- Travelling! I’m heading southward tomorrow to see my best friend and other friends for a weekend of fun and stupidity. I. CANNOT. WAIT.
- Spending quality time with loved ones. I’ve been spending lots of time with my parents and a few friends lately and it’s done my heart good. I can’t wait for more of that this weekend.
- Teaching. Love, love, love. I love seeing when someone gets that moment of clarity while learning and gets excited about understanding what’s going on. There are few things that make me happier.
Have a great week, everyone! If you haven’t already, join the Rav group and share what’s going on and what you think about the episodes, because I love feedback.
I’ll see you next week!