Hello everyone! How have you been? It seems like it’s been an age since we last talked. We had a few days of fall and now winter has decided to hit us in the DC area (which means no snow and bitter cold – though not as cold as some). I’m recording from a different location today: my office.
- Hiro by Julia Farwell-Clay. Not a lot of progress has been made on this, mostly because I’m in the slog of one color now and it’s just not exciting. If I sat down to work on it, it wouldn’t take that long to knit the body… I need to concentrate on this one for awhile, since it’s my Fall Into Color KAL project!
- Level Up Socks by Heather Monroe Kinne. Knitting this out of Highland Handmades Sugar Maple Sock in the Old Appliances colorway on US1.5s. The cable is a bit fiddly, but I am knitting these without a cable needle – those just slow me down. I love how the pattern is showing up in the yarn – it just pops! I’m not a fan of short row heels, but Heather’s idea of adding a tiny gusset on the instep stitches is brilliant.
- Simple Stripey Socks by me. Knitting this out of Yarn vs. Zombies Haunted base in the Monster Movie Night colorway. These are so much fun! These have been my hockey knitting, purse knitting, Doctor Who knitting…
- Eugenia’s Mittens by Mollie Woodworth. After a beloved pair of mittens were felted, I decided I needed a new pair… of the same mittens. I grabbed a skein of madelinetosh Vintage left over from my Narragansett sweater and cast on. So far, so good – of course, I’m only in the first few rows of ribbing. Heh.
- Rose Needs a Hat by Jessica Cook. You never saw this one on the needles – it got cold and I decided that I needed a new hat… by the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who. (What? It’s totally Rose Tyler related. LOL) Knit out of Malabrigo Arroyo in the Pocion colorway on US5s.
Scouting Report: Stash Enhancement
- Socks that Rock Lightweight in Christmas Balls, Currier and Ives, and Black Magic.
- My 2 Crafty Girls shipment from Unwind Yarn Company in Hieroglyphics
- My final shipment in the Geek Treat yarn club from Yarn vs. Zombies (Doctor Who themed, natch) in the Silurian colorway.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas wedge bag from JessaLu.
What’s Making Me Happy
- The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary, naturally! I have spent the entire week and weekend geeking out over Doctor Who and I’ve loved it. 🙂
Have a great week, everyone! Have a happy Thanksgiving and I’ll see you all next time!
Hi everyone! I hope you’ve had a great week or so since we last talked… I certainly have! It’s been a heck of a week and I am still reliving all of the good parts. 😉 I’ve been sick, so apologies if you’re watching the video with earbuds. I really tried not to cough too much, but I also edited out the worst parts. We have prizes to give out – the podiversary prizes (an ebook available for $20 or less on Ravelry) and a generous donation of a project bag from Aryn of Bling Your String) and the October Socks, Socks, Socks prize! If you are one of the three winners, please get in touch with me either via email or on Ravelry.
- Hiro by Julia Farwell-Clay. I am finally making progress on this. I didn’t pick it up at all while at the retreat, but once I was on the plane home, I worked on the ribbing and finished it before the plane landed. Now I’m finally in the body of the sweater, in the waist decreases, and it’s going nicely. Perhaps I will get this done within the KAL time frame.
- Stripey Vanilla Bean not-socks-fingerless-mitts. These are finally done! I worked on these exclusively through the retreat, which resulted in a FO. YAY! I’m proud of these – I worked these up without a pattern, I just pulled elements from a ton of mitts that I’ve knit over the years. I know that there were a couple people at the retreat who wanted me to write up the “pattern”, so I need to get around to that – it shouldn’t take too long. I’ll offer it as a free download, of course.
Scouting Report – Stash Enhancement
- My first shipment from the Mean Girls Yarn Club! LOVE IT. The yarn is from Dizzy Blonde Studios – I’ll be picking more of it up, definitely!
- Received my second shipment of the Yarn vs. Zombies Geek Treat (Whoniverse, naturally) yarn & fiber club…. This round is K-9! Love the grey and red – completely perfect.
- I also ordered a ball of her Haunted base yarn in the Monster Movie Night colorway, love it!
- Of course, I bought a lot of Highland Handmades yarn and fiber – I can’t resist the colorways!
- I purchased a couple of Tix Trinkets from Katie’s mom (through Katie, of course).
- Project bags from Bling Your String!
- Soap, catnip toy, and sheep from Subito Farm.
- Stitch markers, orifice hook, and needle holder from Shipyard Point Glassworks.
- A Wildflower Batt from Never Enough Thyme.
What’s Making Me Happy
Yeah, I forgot to specify that in the video… Really the whole Highlands on the Fly section is what’s making me happy. I have 30-ish new friends that I can’t wait to see again! I am so glad that this was my first knitting retreat – I think if I had done something bigger first, I would have been a lot more introverted. So. Much. Fun. Thank yous go out to Heather, Katie, Sarah, and the New England Outdoor Center for hosting us all!!
Also, enjoy this video of George with his catnip mouse. I believe I’m forgiven for being gone. 😉
Thank you all for this awesome year. I still can’t believe it’s been a year. I really couldn’t have done it without you.
Have a great week!