Hi everyone! How in the world did it get to be 4 days before Christmas?? I tried to keep this one short, but failed miserably. 😉 I hope you’re farther along with your Christmas knitting (if you have any) than I am! Oy. This is totally a race to the finish!
Everything is in the same place as it was last time, since I picked up nothing. Well, that’s not true, I finished the one Seamless Saloma… So, I’m only posting what I actually showed today. 🙂
- Seamless Salomas Slippers by Susan Busbee and Megan Williams. I finished the first slipper this week and have determined that it’s very tight around my foot. It’s cute on, though, and Mom asked if I’d make her a pair, so I’ll cast on a larger size for her once I get the primary knitted gift done. Must stash dive for some nice yarn for this…. I think that she’s worth some cushy, pretty sock yarn, no?
- Windschief Hat by Steven West. This one is for Daddy. He never asks for handknits – like, never ever – so when he asked, I had to say yes. I’m a little worried that he’ll think the color is too girly, but Mom doesn’t think so and I think it will look gorgeous on him. I couldn’t get to my worsted stash (little of it that there is) when I decided to cast on, so I grabbed a skein of Luxe Sock by Unwind Yarn Company (in Abalone; 80% SW Merino, 10% Cashmere, 10% Nylon) and started knitting from the inside and outside. I LOVE THIS YARN. I love how it’s knitting up, I love how cushy this is. It’s a relatively quick knit and I should be done tonight. We’ll see.
- Verity by Ysolda Teague. This has probably been on the needles for two years or so. I’m not sure why it was put down, but a huge amount was done when I found it, so I decided to finish it. Knit out of Classic Elite Kumara, it’s warm and soft. I want more Kumara in my life, darn it!
If you have not checked out the Vintage Rose Knitting Boutique on Etsy, do it. Run, don’t walk. OMG, these stitch markers are GORGEOUS and cover my nerd-doms. Vanessa is so nice – she includes a lovely note with each order – and she ships out so quickly. Literally. I placed both orders and had them within two days. 🙂
What’s Making Me Happy
- It’s all about hockey. My boys are doing really well, despite a really bad game on Tuesday against the Flyers. We’re still #2 in our division and #5 in the Eastern Conference. I got to watch Sunday’s game with my bestie at one of the airport’s bars – well worth it! We came back from a miserable game to winning in a shootout! (As I type this, I’m watching us play the Devils… so far, so good!)
- I spent Monday at their practice (LOVE that all practices are open to the public and free) and got a ton of signatures on my Alzner sweater! (Unfortunately, not his.)
I hope you all have a great holiday! Merry Christmas, y’all! I’ll see you next time!
Hello, everyone! Wow, it’s been 2.5 weeks since I last recorded – bad podcaster, no cookie! It’s been a busy couple of weeks since my mini-vacation, almost no knitting was done, but lots of fun was had – even if re-entry into Real Life was hard. Now that I’ve had a chance to knit, I want to knit ALL THE THINGS, heh. I’ve noticed that the high pitched sound is back in this episode, I’m not quite sure why. Also, you may hear the heating kick on – I didn’t realize just how loud that is back there. We’re up to 61 members in the Ravelry group! I am astonished. 🙂 Thanks for all the support!
- Unnamed Slouchy Hat – my own design. I’m actually in the home stretch of this one – I just need to decide whether I’m going to knit for an inch more or just decide on the decreases. This is being knit out of SpaceCadet Creations Lucina yarn in the Pirate colorway on Addi Turbo US2 (3.0 mm needles). I’m still trying to figure out what makes the colorway so pirate-y, but whatever. The yarn isn’t my favorite to work with, but it’s not awful. I forgot to mention during taping that it’s actually from my stash. I know! Weird. 😉 The hat is a little snugger than I meant for it to be, but I’m going with it. I’ll either block the hell out of it or just leave it as is. I’m planning on writing this up and getting a few people to test it, then I’ll put it up on Ravelry as a free pattern.
- Célia by Ariane Caron-Lacoste. Swatches have been knit and I have cast on… hopefully, there will be progress on this in the coming week! I’m using the MadTosh Twist DK in the Tart colorway on US5 (3.75 mm) Addi Turbo Lace needles.
- Simple, Stripey Socks. Finally done! They’ve actually been done for a while now, but I wanted to show them off to y’all before I wore them. 🙂 My standard vanilla sock pattern, with afterthought heels on two US1 (2.5 mm) Addi Turbo Lace needles.
- Tabata Mitts by Anne Hanson. I need a pair of fingerless mitts, since I can’t find any of mine and these will work up quickly. Knitting them out of Berroco Vintage DK in the 2177 colorway.
- Breakwater by Cecily Glowik MacDonald. I was inspired to make one after seeing oohfancypants‘s version.
- Narragansett by Thea Colman. I’m working my way through the Knitting in Circles podcast and have fallen in love with Aimee’s version.
- Mystery cowl of my own design. I’ll be working on getting this out in the next couple of weeks. I’ll be looking for test knitters, too. 🙂
Holding the Stick
Thanks for the suggestions for the new segment! I love this! I’ve plied the mystery fiber from Highland Handmades and LOVE it. It’s the first time I’ve attempted plying yarn and I love the finished product. It’s not perfect – definitely overspun and thick and thin, but it’s mine. 🙂 I haven’t touched the other spindle, but I’ll work on that to get it done.
What’s Making Me Happy
- NOT the NHL. All I want for Christmas is the CBA in place… it’s not going to happen. HOWEVER, some of the Caps have stayed in the states and rented ice time at their practice rink on Friday and scrimmaged with some collegiate players. Awesome. Also, Matt Hendricks has been overseas with the USO with the troops and tweeting about it. Awesome. I love these guys.
- CHRISTMAS!! It’s my favorite holiday – one of the most magical. I’ve been baking, watching Christmas movies… life has been good.
- Thank you to MaryBeth143 for the RAP of the Don’t Cage Me In Socks by Heather Kinne of Highland Handmades. I love it!
- Happy birthdays go out to the following group members: Drewstiffer (12/7), craftydebbi (12/10), Lorilou7 (12/20), MollyOMali (12/26), and oohfancypants (12/31). I hope you all had/have a wonderful birthday!!
Have a great week! If you celebrate, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. I’m hoping to record next weekend – so I’ll see you then!
This week wasn’t a great week for me in general, but I did get some knitting done! It’s amazing what just letting yourself zone out through Doctor Who will do…
- Owls Sweater by Kate Davies. (No, I still haven’t made a project page in Ravelry yet, bad me!) Lots of progress has been made this week, thanks to watching podcasts and Doctor Who! The first sleeve has taken the majority of a skein of yarn, which means the second will take the same… which leaves me with a skein and a half to do the yoke and owls. Eek! Plucky Knitter is having an update today, but I don’t get paid until Friday. Boo. Ah well, if I need to, I’ll hit up a Rav destash.
- Buckingham Hat by Blue Sky Alpacas. It’s at almost the same place it was last week – because there was ripping that had to be done. There’s a weird rib pattern that if it didn’t leave a weird broken rib (broken by an inch or so of stockinette stitch), would have been great. However, since I didn’t want to have to figure out how to fix it, I ripped back to the second rib and will extend that up the rest of the hat. It’s living in my Yarn Pop Gadgety bag. (At least, I think that’s what it is…)
- Simple Stripey Socks. I’m only a few more stripes along, but that’s mostly because Owls has taken all of my spare time. A few people have asked what bag I’m keeping them in and here you go: the Piddly bag from Piddleloop. Love their stuff!!
Nothing new to add here… not yet, at least. Soon…
I’ve got a crazy idea to join in the KAL for the Beatnik sweater. It’s a KAL hosted by Emily of the Whatcha Swatchin’ podcast and Allison of the Hollywood Knitter podcast. It starts on Thanksgiving and ends in January… Crazypants idea, right? Who knows…
What’s Making Me Happy
- Thanksgiving! I get to make my super-delicious turkey (thanks, Nigella Lawson!).
- Short work weeks!
- LOVE, love, love my new glasses! Super fast shipping can’t be beat!
- Furry co-host interruptions… You finally get to meet George. Yeah, I’m a crazy cat mom. 🙂 He’s my boy, though, and he picked me – I can’t ever forget that.
- I’ll be helping out at fibre space on Black Friday! If you’re shopping in Old Town, stop by!
Have a great week, everyone! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone in the US!
Let me know what you think! Email me at sheepishpodcast AT gmail DOT com; my Twitter handle is @sheepishpodcast; my Plurk handle is sheepishpodcast; and I can be reached on Ravelry as knitgirl.
Have a great week!